- Products & Solutions
- Why Avangate
- Customer Login
- Request a Demo
Avangate Customer Success Stories
Metaio - Worldwide Leader in Augmented Reality - Acquired by Apple in 2015
Avangate Drives Expansion of Metaio's Global Sales and Developer Network (Note: case study references activities prior to the Apple acquisition)
"With Avangate, we've expanded sales from strategic consumer brands like IKEA and LEGO to a developer community of over 100,000 to enable the broad use of the augmented reality platform. Avangate are key to taking our product sales across channels," Thomas Alt, CEO, Metaio
Metaio is the worldwide leader in Augmented Reality software, research and technology. Metaio develops software products for visually interactive solutions between the real and the virtual world. Based on the Metaio Augmented Reality platform, digital and 3-D content can be integrated seamlessly into the user's camera view looking upon the real world. With over 10 years of experience in AR and CV, Metaio serves over 100,000 developers with over 1,000 published apps. In total, Metaio's AR software reaches over 30 Million consumers around the world. Learn more at www.metaio.com
Objectives - New Markets, New Territories, New Revenue Models
Metaio was looking to grow its business and bring the augmented reality platform to a broader global audience. To accomplish that, it needed to reach a global network of 100,000-plus commercial developers and introduce new business and revenue models and self-service capabilities to support them.
The Context - Unique Opportunity to Scale
Metaio was essentially a small company with some very big strategic consumer brand clients such as IKEA, LEGO and Mitsubishi. Partnering with the global community of commercial developers was its best opportunity to grow and broaden the use its technology, but it lacked the resources, infrastructure and personnel to scale and do it efficiently.
Challenges - Resources and Flexibility
- Target and reach new markets through channels without adding headcount.
- Experiment with new revenue and business models, such as self-service and different subscription plans, and scale operations internationally without adding new infrastructure or overhead.
- Future proof systems - maintain flexibility and adaptability to alternative models for acquiring, managing and monetizing future set of customer segments
Solution - Avangate Customer Centric Commerce
Avangate provided Metaio with the eCommerce platform and guidance they needed to both expand their network and support multiple revenue and business models. With Avangate, they were able to experiment and adjust on the fly on a global level, while making a seamless transition to a self-service model for their commercial developer ecosystem. Avangate also provided them with the marketing tools and back-office support to scale with their growth, as well as the ability to transact and accept payments globally with language, currency and tax handling support for over 100 countries.
As a result of the partnership with Avangate, Metaio was able to achieve the following over a one year period:
- Increased global online software sales by 300%.
- Increased US-based orders by 600% and sales by 500%.
- Established significant presence in new markets such as China, South Korea and the Philippines.
- Expanded sales to the global community of 100,000-plus commercial developers while continuing to support large strategic customers with the same internal resources - thanks to the self-service capabilities and automation built-into the Avangate platform.
Solution used: Avangate Enterprise Edition (eCommerce, Affiliates modules).